ads

Monday, January 12, 2015

ASARI DOKUNBO SAYS HE DOESN'T SEE HIMSELF AS A NIGERIAN.

Founder of the Niger Delta Peoples
Volunteer Force, NDPVF, Mr Asari
Dokubo, has denied himself
citizenship of the nation Nigeria.
The former freedom fighter said he
couldn't establish anything in a
'strange land' where his enemies
abound.
Dokubo stated this while speaking as
guest in 'Rubbin Minds', a
programme on the Channels
Television on Sunday.
The Niger Delta indigene who had
vowed to make blood flow on the
streets of the country if Jonathan
loses as president of the nation
come February 14, publicly declared
that he had no regret dumping
Nigeria for neighboring Benin
Republic.
When asked why he did not
establish his institution in the
country, a fire-splitting Asari said: "I
am a businessman. My business is
mostly centered around education. I
have about four schools.
"I have crèche, nursery and
secondary school, King Amachree
International School in Cotonou,
Republic of Benin. I have King
Amachree Automobile and ICT
Academy and I have King Amachree
Arts Academy and King Amachree
Sports Academy.
"Its only education that I do. By
March, King Amachree African
University will come on board".
He noted that his passion for
education, despite not completing
his own university education, was
because the quality of education
being offered in Nigeria was very
inadequate as he believes "it just
prepares people to speak English, to
write and to make noise.
"Any student who graduates from
my school is skilled,".
Asked why, according to reports, he
has a university in the Republic of
Benin rather than building it in
Nigeria, he said, "I don't see myself
as a Nigerian and I cannot establish
a school in an enemy territory.
"For over 30 years, I've been at
loggerheads with the Nigerian
Government, first as a Student
Union leader, then President of
National Union of Rivers State
Students, participating in student
unionism.
"I have been an enemy of the
Nigerian state, so to say. Up till
today, there's a treason trial hanging
on my head and you cannot just put
your business in an environment
where one person would get up and
say 'I close down this business'.
"I want somewhere where I can
express myself and flourish and
that's what I'm doing. We started
small but gradually we are becoming
bigger and bigger."
Asari Dokubo, who became a citizen
of the neighbouring Republic of
Benin in 2013 maintained that he
had never been a Nigerian citizen.
"I have never been a Nigerian.
Nations are not created by force…
they are created by the people. You
saw Scotland trying to vote yes or
no. Today no Scottish man can say
'I'm not a Briton' because majority of
Scottish people have accepted to
remain in the British Union."
He also gave his opinion about
Nigeria's 2014 National Conference,
maintaining that the existence of a
"no-go-area", among other issues,
meant that the country was yet to
hold a sovereign national
conference, which he had demanded
for 30 years.
"We don't want a situation where
somebody will arrogate to himself
the power to decide the fate of
other people. We want a Nigeria that
recognizes that there are different
nations no matter how small they
are, and they are accorded the same
space in Nigeria," he added.
Post a Comment